Tuesday, November 05, 2013

My birthday and...Clean and Healthy Carrot Cupcakes

So recently I celebrated my birthday with my two favourite men in the world- a big man and a little man. Birthdays always make me reflect on what I have done this year and what do I want to achieve next year. Reaching the milestone of 3-0 also makes me think what have I done in the past 10 years?


So let me start of what I think I have achieved and am proud of in the past 10 years:
- I graduated with two degrees. An undergrad and postgrad. My father believed in me and somehow, I managed to finished it.
- Lost 35 kgs. I went from being unhealthy to loving life. Embracing eating clean but treating ourselves from time to time.
- Got my heart broken but then found the love of my life and got married!
- Being in love with a man who really knows me.
- Planned and successfully executed 3 weddings (to the same man).
- Travelled around Malaysia, Australia, Europe and USA
- Started my "proper" job, achieved an award, experienced a management position, learnt how to deal with different scenarios.
- Maintained and love my friendships.
- Building a closer relationship with my parents, in laws and grandmother.
- Engaged a builder and we build our home.
- Having faith.
- Fell pregnant and delivered a life to the world.

What have I learnt?
- Work smart. Sometimes slow and steady is the way to go. Hurrying will not make it any better.
- Budgetting. I dare say in my 20s, I have lived with little money in my pocket. I haven't gone red but certainly meeting day to day bills and needs can be a juggle. That really taught us how to use money wisely.
- Question and not trust everyone. I have always given people the benefit of the doubt, but now I learn to switch my "question" radar on a little more.
- Confidence in asking questions, at the risk of sounding stupid. It's ok to speak up at times. I recall being nervous giving presentations and now it does not faze me too much anymore.
- Family rocks. Yes, I was heavily involved in work but at the end of the day, it's the people closest to us that matters.
- We may not have the most expensive items or the most extravagant dinners but we can do simplicity well and we are proud of it.






Hubby asked what do I want to achieve in the next 5-10 years and that did stumped me...
- I want to continue to cherish and work on our marriage. I would like to work on my weakness of being impatient, easily distracted and not always giving my hubby my attention.
-I want to raise Asher up to be a man of values, manners and with a heart pointing towards God.
- If we are blessed with another child, we will continue to raise our family.
- Travel. Maybe around Asia, NZ and back to Europe.
- Pay off our house or at least most of it.
-  Stay healthy.
- Regular skype and facetime with my families and friends.
- Read more.
- Cook more
- Take time out and breathe. It's ok to stop sometimes.

What were/are your aims and goals as you reach your 30s?


I'm not sure if I ever did mention that I love carrot cakes? Both the western and asian varieties. I have recently experimented making clean carrot cupcakes and I believe I have found the balance in them. Moist and tasty! No one at Asher's full moon could even tell they were gluten free, and very low in sugar. I have mixed greek yogurt with the cream cheese frosting as well which not only reduces the calories but also added the tangy taste to it.  I have adapted this from Teresa Cutter's recipe but also from my own experimentation.


Clean and Healthy Carrot Cupcakes (Serves around 16)
4 large carrots grated
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups of almond meal
2.5 tsp of baking powder
1 heap tablespoon of cinnamon
1/2 cup of olive or coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey or less

Preheat Oven at 180C. Line muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
Whisk wet ingredients together and pour to dry. Mix well. Spoon into wrappers and bake for around 25-30 mins till done.



Cream cheese and yogurt frosting
500 grams of cream cheese
150 grams of greek yogurt
1 tablespoon of honey

Whisk it all together. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

 photo MTWsignature_zpsaefba23f.png

4 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Happy belated birthday Daphne! :) Asher is just adorable and look at his hair. :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

happy late birthday friend and look at that cute handsome and most adorable baby boy! I mean! HE IS TOO TOO CUTE! you are doing a great job with him- keep it up!

expatgourmand said...

Happy birthday! I also celebrated my birthday recently :)

Those carrot cupcakes do look healthy. I made a carrot cake for my son's first birthday.

lena said...

how adorable looking at asher! hey daphne, you missed something on the achievement..you started a wonderful blog, have built friendships here and got to know me ! heehehe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...