Monday, July 16, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore


There is just something about cold weather that I want saucy food. Stews, soups, casseroles..they appeals because it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I have been wanting to make chicken cacciatore for some time but for some odd reason, kept postponing it.

Having some wine in the fridge, and wanting to clear it asap, this recipe came naturally to me. It's probably not the original version but it does the trick. I think adding some bacon or pancetta will give it a deeper flavour but I like this version nonetheless.

It's ver tomatoish and I reckon the bite of olives just makes the dish. Again, olives are something that I never thought I will like but it has grown on me quite abit in recent years. This is one that I cook in a big batch and freeze it- ah, yes, I love it on those days when I know food is already waiting for us in the fridge/freezer.. and the kitchen is clean.

Chicken Cacciatore (serves 8)
1 kg of chicken thigh trimmed into bite size pieces
1 red onion chopped
1 tsp of garlic
2 red chili
1/4 cup of white wine
100 grams of kalamata olives sliced
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon of tomato paste

Saute red onion and garlic. Brown chicken. Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Toss through tomato diced and paste. Cook for 10 minutes or so before adding in olives. Simmer for 15 minutes till mixture thickens.



Photobucket

7 comments:

The Sudden Cook said...

Sounds rather simple but looks like a very tasty dish!

Joanne said...

This is such a classic, delicious Italian dish! Yum!

lena said...

i mayhave difficulty pronouncing the name of this dish but definately no difficulty to finish this whole plate! sounds something like the italian chicken i've made previously.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sounds like spaghetti sauce with added olive!

WokandSpoon said...

Great that you made loads to freeze too - quick dinner for lazy days!

tigerfish said...

Very tomato-ish? Just right for me! :)

Unknown said...

looks so delicious...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...