Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Brownie Hearts



We never have any luck celebrating Valentine's Day. Perhaps it's the nature of our relationship-that we emphasized on they daily choices rather than a big celebration on one day of the year. Or perhaps I just cannot justify how much flowers costs and think it is much more worthy spending it on something else. In fact, AR bought me a swarovski crystal rose because he said given my practical nature, I would enjoy a rose that never die instead. Besides, he figured that he probably saved more from not buying me roses on Valentine's Day. He was right. A rose from the garden also suffice. In all honesty, to wake up smelling a fresh stalk of rose from our garden that he deliberately woke up earlier to cut was more meaningful than a big bulky bunch of store bought flowers.


I recalled when we first started dating, he gave me a puzzle mat for Valentine's Day. He was traveling then, and called me to tell me that there was a present hiding underneath his bed, and that I have to pulled it out. Not the most romantic because he forgot to clean the dust under his bed!!!! And I bet our housemates was wondering why I was in his room looking underneath his bed. How suspicious that must have looked. In later years, we seem to spend Valentine's Day separately due to different commitments like being overseas at the same time or having family members visiting. 


More recently, we opted to write each other cards and notes to remind ourselves how privileged is that to have one another. Even through arguing the little things like how busy our schedules are, how we manage our money to why we tend not to "listen" to each other-probably due to tiredness. Often, we learned the hard way that, regardless of whatever we said or did,  we do we have goodwill towards each other.  Valentine's Day is about us respecting and loving one another. The cycle that never should end.

 

Sweet Valentine's Day everyone!

Chocolate Caramel Brownie Hearts modified from Taste
80grams of butter (recipe called for 150grams)
150 grams of dark chocolate (I used a mixture of mint chocolate and chocolate with cherry liquor in them)
1/4 cup of caster sugar (recipe called for 
1 1/4 cup of plain flour 
2 eggs
2 tsp of cocoa powder 
220 grams of Cadbury Carmello chocolate blocked (I put it in the fridge for a few hours before chopping them into small pieces) 

Preheat oven 180C. Line a slice tray with baking paper. 

In a sauce pan, melt chocolate and butter. Fold in sugar when the mixture has been combined. Cool for a few minutes. 

Meanwhile, combine flour and cocoa powder together. 

Whisk 2 eggs, Slowly whisk 2 eggs into the sauce pan to chocolate mixture. Then fold in the combine flour/cocoa powder. Fold in carmello chocolate bits. Pour into prepared tray and bake for 15-20 minutes till top is set. 

Cool. Cut using heart shape cutters and dust with cocoa powder. Resist munching on the leftover bits! Caution, despite this recipe saying that it is a brownie, I think it resembles a truffle instead and is quite rich.

Sending my love to Aspiring Bakes #4 Love Is In The Air Series!  The host is Ellena this month, with a theme of "Heart Shape".


Photobucket

10 comments:

Joanne said...

V-Day is just one random day in a year, and I definitely think it's better to appreciate the little things throughout the year rather than just this one day. Sounds like you guys have a great relationship!

Oh these caramel brownies look amazing!

Joyce @ Chunky Cooky said...

Look so chocolatey delectable ! Happy Valentine's Day !

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Happy Valentine's day to you too ! For me, this is just another normal day, hehehe...no celebration for very long time..

Mary Bergfeld said...

Daphne, this would have been such a nice Valentine's Day treat for my family. I found you 2 days to late to make these for them. I'm new here and I've just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. Much of what you make is new to me, but I must tell you how much I like the food and recipes you feature for your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

tigerfish said...

It is also good to smell the brownie heart bakes :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Happy V-day to you! That's a lovely heart-shape brownies!

Unknown said...

Happy vday and heart shape or not, i'd love some brownies! hehehe

lena said...

i think it's so sweet that both of you are still sending notes to each other, hope you head a great valentine's day. These brownies sure had melted his heart!

daphne said...

awww. sweet Joanne!

Thanks Chunky Cookie!

sonia- means everyday is sweet day? =)

Tigerfish- hehe love smell of chocolate!

little corner- thanks!
rita- awww.

lena- =) i hope so too!

Small Small Baker said...

Lovely heart brownies! I hope I'm not too late to leave a comment here. Thanks for joining Aspiring Bakers and hope you can continue to support. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...